Few months ago, me and my friend Ridha decided to make a monthly cooking challenge to make our daily cooking activity more fun. Not long after the Two Little Chefettes (2LC) blog was born. There each month we pick 1 main ingredient as the month’s theme and we have to make a dish using it. It went well for a couple of months, but then because of our busy activities and some family matters, we needed to take a little break for a while. Turn out, life without the challenge seems a little bit dull, so now we are back again..
For this month challenge, we picked Mushroom as the main ingredient. I personally love mushroom, especially in lasagna or bolognese sauce… hmm yummy. But since this is a challenge, I can’t make that and post it here. I need to raise the bar a little bit. Just a little though, not too much. So I wonder around in googleland as I was hopelessly clueless about what dish to make. I rarely (or more to never) use mushroom as the main ingredient. Until one day I decided to just asked around in Twitter for some light and not long after a friend of mine suggested this dish… a chicken and mushroom baked rice.
As soon as I got the name, I rushed over to google and found a really good looking recipe… and here is the result…
- 200 g mushroom ( I use champignon), sliced
- 150 g chicken fillet, cubed
- 1½ cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained ( I use Thailand jasmine rice )
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- Mozzarella Cheese, shredded.
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded.
- Salt & Pepper
- Chopped Parsley (for garnish)
- Melt the butter in a heated pan or wok, add the mushroom and chicken. Stir fry it until the chicken turns white.
- Add the uncooked rice into the pan, season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Move everything in the pan into a rice cooker. Add the garlic, stir well. Pour in more water to cook the rice. I usually add the water until it is flood over the rice, around one segment of my index finger (I have no clue what it is in english, but the first line on your finger). But then again, you should adjust it according to your cooker.
- When the rice is finished, move it to a baking dish until almost full. Spread couple of table spoon Campbell’s cream soup covering the whole part. Topped it with shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Sprinkled it with some chopped parsley.
- Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for about 25 minutes (or until the cheese turns golden).
Serves 4-6 portions
* * * *
I really love this dish. The rice is super pack with flavors from the chicken and mushroom. The thin layer of cream soup also add some nice taste to it. Not to mention when you get a full bite with the cheese.. hmm yum yum. To make it more great, I usually add chilli sauce right before I eat it. Now that’s perfect!
If you have a great mushroom recipe (or maybe more), why don’t you share it with us at 2LC Cooking Challenge. Please visit this page to check out the rules before you join. Don’t worry, it’s super easy.