Today’s recipe is actually my first food ever I made on my own kitchen here in Sweden. I got this one from my mom. It is one of my favorite food since I was kid. I always think that my mom makes the best Macaroni Schotel.. ever…
Even though it’s been a while, I always remember the taste of her homemade Macaroni Schotel. So one time when we talked through Skype, I asked her to teach me how to make one. The thing is, she usually cook it by instinct.. so when I asked about the measurement, she just like.. Well.. it’s around this much or that much.. -___-“. That’s why I took the initiative to browse around and after few recipes, I can conclude that the measurement are…
- 250 g Macaroni – Boil it according to directions on the package.
- 1 onion, diced.
- 1 can of corned beef –> you can substitute it with chicken fillet if you want to, just boiled the chicken then shred it to small pieces.
- 400 ml of milk.
- 3 eggs.
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder.
- parmesan cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese.
- Heat up the oven on 170°C.
- Saute the onion in butter until the colors change transparent, then add the corned beef.
- After both the onion and the corned beef mixed evenly, add the macaroni.
- Pour the milk in. Seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. This is the last time you can season the dish, so make sure you got it right.
- Remove from heat and stir until the smoke gone.
- Scramble the eggs on a bowl, pour it to the macaroni+corned beef mixture while keep mixing.
- Put half of the mixture on a baking dish, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Pour the rest of the mixture and cover it with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Put it in to the oven and bake until the cheese start to browned.
- When finish, pull it out from the oven and let it rest before serving.
Flavor wise I believed I was spot on.. it tasted like what my mom would’ve made. It just that I didn’t manage to make it look like what it supposed to be on the upper part of the dish. I think that because I put cheddar cheese on it (which was not on the ingredients list). But yeah it still tasted good.. so I’m satisfied.. ^__^