One of my favorite snack that my mom always made back home from time to time is Steamed Cake* (or in Indonesia we call it Bolu Kukus). It’s a cake that you steamed (yeah, do’h) and it got all fluffy and really soft when you eat it.
To make it easier for you guys to imagine how it looks like.. here it is…
It’s a tricky cake to make. The thing is a lot of people have said to me that they failed to make it rise and “blooming” like the one in the picture. Especially when you do it for the first time. But then again I don’t know if it’s a beginners luck (or maybe I’m just genius :P), but I managed to make it bloom on the first try… So… won’t hurt to try… right?
- 300 grams of all-purpose flour.
- 300 grams of sugar.
- 3 egg yolks.
- 2 egg white.
- 1 can of sprite (330 ml).
- 2 teaspoon of emulsifier.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder.
- Mocha flavor food coloring.
- Mix the flour + sugar + egg yolk + white + emulsifier using a mixer with high speed.
- Pour in the sprite.. little at a time.. you don’t wanna get to excited here… ^_^
- Mix all the ingredients until the dough is rising and thickening (it will take around 10-15 minutes) – PS: when you mix it, make sure only turn it to one direction all the time (specially when you do it by hand).
- Add the vanilla powder and mix it again.
Now it’s time to steam it…
- Pour 3 – 4 tablespoons of the batter into a small bowl and add the food coloring.
- Prepare few paper baking cups (usually used for muffins). Place the paper inside an aluminium baking cups (same shape). Don’t forget to punch few small hole on the base of the aluminium form.
- Pour batter into the paper baking cups until 3/4 part of the cup got filled .
- Pour ½ teaspoon of mocha mixture on top of the batter and mix it using a toothpick.
- Steam it for ± 15 minutes.
* * * *
- When you steam it, cover the steamer lid with a napkin or a small towel. It will help to prevent the water from the hot steam drop to the batter.
- Cover the cake all the time when not eaten. If you leave it uncovered, it will get hard easily.
- The cake can only last for a short time, around 2-3 days (depend on how we keep it). Make sure to adjust the recipe according to your need.
I have no idea if Steamed Cake is the right translation for Bolu Kukus. I’ve tried looking around for the proper translation, but I can’t find it… So just call it that for the time being..😀