I love watching Junior Masterchef Australia. It’s just mind-blowing to see kids around 8-12 years old managed to cook like adults and created beautiful dishes. It’s just plain crazy. When I was around their age, i couldn’t even cooked fried egg properly, much less a beef steak or whatever those kids made. Anyway… in one of the first season’s episodes, one of the contestant decided to make a ravioli from scratch. She made the pasta ravioli dough like a pro and the end result looked fantastic. My head just blew away when I saw it. The first thing went through my mind was “If that kid can make one, I can too!“.
So few weeks later, I bought some ingredients and looked around tutorial video on YouTube. After that I started my journey on making my first ravioli dough… and it was a disaster. Somewhere along the way kneading the dough, I managed to make the pasta dough became a dough crumbs. Seriously, I had no idea what I was doing at that time. Tried it twice with the same result. In the end I just gave up and bought some wonton skins at the store and use it as the ravioli dough… :D.
With the ravioli dough problem solved, I just needed to find a recipe for the filling. After gone through an intense search process, I found the perfect recipe from this website few month ago and I loved it. It’s quite easy to follow and taste great too. Mind you that it might take a while to make the ravioli.
Ingredients for Spinach, Mushrooms and Ricotta Ravioli:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack of wonton skins
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 260 g fresh spinach
- 200 g champignon mushroom, chopped
- 250 g ricotta
- zest 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in the pan, saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the spinach and cook it for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Move the spinach and garlic into a bowl, let it cool down for a while. Squeeze out the excess liquid from the spinach.
- Chopped roughly the spinach and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend it well.
- Scoop in around one teaspoon of the spinach into the wonton skins. Cover it with another one. Glue it together using water. Cut the edges.
- Boil water and add some salt. Add some oil and lower down the heat. Put in the ravioli in batches and let it cooked for around 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the water, drain and keep it warm.
Source: http://www.cookyourdream.com. On that website, you can also find step-by-step instructions of making a ravioli from scratch.
To enjoy this homemade ravioli, I usually use a homemade tomato sauce. The same tomato sauce recipe I usually use also if I want to eat Swedish Meatballs (recipe coming soon) with spaghetti or Spaghetti Bolognese.
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cans of crushed tomato
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- salt, pepper, oregano and dried basil
- Saute the garlic for one minute. Add the crushed tomato.
- Add the tomato puree and tomato ketchup.
- Season it with salt, pepper, oregano and dried basil.
- Cook it until it boil.
And there you have it.. a Spinach, mushrooms and Ricotta Ravioli with a homemade tomato sauce. Enjoy it while it’s hot.