Köttbullar or meatballs is one of traditional Swedish food that you would often see during Christmas celebration or many other occasion. It’s usually served with gravy, mashed potato and lingonberry jam. But of course it can be with other side dish too. Well the one I made, I served it with spaghetti and tomato sauce. So it’s actually a spaghetti meatballs, but with Swedish kind of meatballs.
I found the recipe from a small cook book supplement from Oriflame, a Swedish based cosmetic company. Their business venture in Indonesia is quite big and for some reason they made this little cook book filled with Swedish traditional food, including the Swedish meatballs recipe. I guess they want to introduce a little bit of Swedish culture to the Indonesian people. And I think it’s great…
Anyway, the recipe for this Swedish meatballs is actually really simple and the ingredients are also easy to find.
Ingredients for the Meatballs:
- 600 grams of minced meat – Since I don’t eat pork, I used veal
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – diced
- 1 egg
- 1 block beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter – to fry the meatballs
- Mix all the ingredients, except the butter.
- Form it to ball shape and just pat it flat if you want. For me it’s easier to cook that way.
- Heat up the pan, add the butter and fry the meatballs until thoroughly cooked.
To check if the seasoning is already good enough, cook small bits of the meatballs and adjust the taste as you preferr.
To make the spaghetti meatballs:
- Cook the spaghetti according to package.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, make the tomato sauce. You can find my homemade tomato sauce recipe at my previous blog post here.
- Put in the cooked meatballs into the tomato sauce and let it boil for few minutes.
- Serve it together with the spaghetti. Add grated Parmesan on top.
This was the second Swedish meatballs recipe that I’ve tried and I loved this recipe better than the one before.. by far. I personally love the taste of the meatballs. It’s hard to explain how it tasted like. All I can say is that it tasted really good… yeah, I know that’s not really helping.. X_X
BTW, I just bought a cute mini lighthouse the other day. It’s so cute that I want to show it to you guys here. So I just put it there in the pictures as a prop. It fits well, don’t you think? ^__^