Ever since my family came to Sweden like a month ago, Indonesian food have always been the first choice of menu every night we make dinner. Of course I don’t mind that because I miss Indonesian food a lot. But the main and most important reason is also because, I’m not the one who’s doing all the cooking. Yup, my mom took over the kitchen the second she entered it. At first I didn’t like that idea.. at all. But after a while, I decided that it’s wiser just to give up. It’s more fun to sit, watch her cook and wait for the food to be ready.
Anyway, the first dish
we she made was Meatballs Stew. It’s a beef meatballs with sweet brown broth from the sweet soy sauce. I have to say that it’s quite easy to make, although I don’t know if the ingredients are easy to find or not.
Ingredients for the meatballs:
- 600 gram minced meat
- salt & pepper
Ingredients for the spices paste (mix it all together using mortar and pestle or blender):
- 3 pieces candle-nuts
- 2 cloves shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 liter of water
- Sweet soy sauce
- 1 block of beef stock
- 1 tomato, chopped roughly
- Mix the minced meat with salt and pepper.
- Mold the minced meat to small balls using spoon or hand.
- Boil water in a pot, put in the meatballs and let it cook through. When the meatballs starts to float, it means that it’s done. Set is aside.
- Pour the water used to boil the meatballs to another pot. Strain the water so the bubbles from the meat doesn’t drop to the new pot.
- Stir-fry the spice paste until fragrant. Pour couple of table spoons of the water used to boil the meatballs into the frying pan.
- Put in the meatballs into the pan. Season it with sweet soy sauce, nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- Pour everything in the pan into the pot. Add the beef stock and don’t forget to taste it.
- Add the tomato and let it boil for a couple of minutes.
- Serve it hot with white rice.